[GUI] Another call for votes

Wolfgang Thaller wolfgang.thaller at gmx.net
Tue Mar 18 15:00:38 EST 2003

> It seems that it is necessary to state that these three functions all
> execute in the same thread. I don't want to write C wrappers for all
> Gtk
> functions!

Yes, that's what the current "bound threads" proposal is all about, to
allow a Haskell thread to be "bound" to a specific OS thread so that
all three functions are guaranteed to execute in the same thread.
I think that GHC probably won't ship with the "threaded RTS" enabled
before this or an equivalent proposal has been accepted and implemented.
Without the threaded RTS (e.g. GHC 5.04), OS threads are a non-issue,
as all Haskell code runs in one OS thread.
So no need to worry there.

Cheers,

Wolfgang