ANN: H98 FFI Addendum 1.0, Release Candidate 10

Simon Marlow simonmar at microsoft.com
Tue Jun 3 05:15:20 EDT 2003

> On Monday 02 June 2003 2:32 pm, Simon Marlow wrote:
>
> > Ok.  But I still don't understand why the whole discussion
> isn't moot.
> > I can't see how to acquire a value of type T that isn't bottom.
>
> Whether you can acquire values of this type or not, we need
> to give it a semantics.
>
> We know that T must contain bottom.

Not necessarily - GHC's primitive types don't contain bottom.

But I'm probably just being awkward, since I really don't understand
what it is you're trying to do here.

> > Could you give an example?
>
> No , I probably can't come up with an example as things stand
> at the moment.
> But who knows what changes we might make in the future and
> when we do, we're
> bound to do better if our semantics relfects reality instead
> of relying on a trick.

I'd be happy for semantics to reflect reality - but what *is* the
reality that you're trying to model?  And what do you mean by a trick?

As far as I can tell, you want a type T that represents a foreign
object.  What is the representation of this foreign object?  How is it
marshalled to and from the foreign language?

I think an example would really help.  Invent some syntax and extra
features if you need to!