Native threads

Simon Peyton-Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Fri Feb 7 04:55:53 EST 2003

Folks

There was a spirited debate about the relationship between native OS
threads and Haskell threads.  I got very confused.  To clear up my
brain, Simon and I wrote a little operational semantics that tries to
make precise what is going on.  It's in CVS as
	haskell-report/ffi/threads.tex

(Style files in haskell-report/styles)

I did send this round a couple of weeks ago, and others made a couple of
updates, but it seems to have killed the discussion stone dead!

The (updated) postscript is at
	http://research.microsoft.com/~simonpj/tmp/threads.ps

So I thought I'd mention it again.   Apart from anything else, it'd be
nice to get a merger of Wolfgang and Alastair's notes into the early
sections of the document.