ANN: H98 FFI Addendum 1.0, Release Candidate 7

Alastair Reid alastair at reid-consulting-uk.ltd.uk
Thu Sep 26 11:50:25 EDT 2002

> We have four alternatives:

> (1) We leave everything as it is.  If you want malloc-type storage
> that you can free in a finaliser, you need to write your own
> interface to C's malloc() and free().

I think this approach misses the reason we provide MarshalAlloc in the
first place.

> (2) We commit to using C's storage manager in Haskell's malloc
> routines.  Then, C's free() can be used to free storage allocated
> with Haskell's malloc routines.  (Whether we already provide a
> foreign import declaration to access &free from Haskell or leave
> that to the application is a minor detail.)

It seems tidier not to do this.

[Actually, I'd be tempted to strengthen the 'this is not C' feel of
the library by renaming malloc/free, dropping realloc, making the size
an explicit arguwent to free, etc.  But any benefit from doing this
would be small so I'll resist this temptation.]

> (3) We provide a value

>       finalizerFree :: FunPtr (Ptr a -> IO ())

>     that frees storage allocated with Haskell's malloc routines
> without any guarantee that this coincides with C's free().

I think this is the best bet.  (And it happens to be what Ross has
just implemented for Hugs.)

> (4) We add to the C land interface of the FFI a function

>       void hs_free (void *);

>     that behaves like MarshalAlloc.free, but can be called from a
> finalizer.  (One can import this with &hs_free.)

This seems reasonable too.  Kinda feels as though we'll end up doing
this eventually if we don't do it now.

> (Although, (4) suggests to also provide hs_malloc() and
> hs_realloc().)

Again, I suspect we'd end up doing these eventually if we don't do
them now.

--
Alastair