ANN: H98 FFI Addendum 1.0, Release Candidate 7

Alastair Reid alastair at
Wed Sep 18 12:14:19 EDT 2002

> RC 7 of the FFI Addendum is now available from

In adding mallocForeignPtr and friends to Hugs, I found that I needed
the address of free to pass as a parameter.

There's no suitable way to generate &free from (the
obvious use of a Haskell wrapper would break the whole reason for the
recent change to ForeignPtrs).

Could we add &free to the export list of MarshalAlloc?

  foreign import ccall unsafe "stdlib.h &free" ptr_free :: FunPtr (Ptr a -> IO ())

I am currently using 'ptr_free' as the Haskell name for this pointer
but I expect that a better name could be found with little effort.