Proposed change to ForeignPtr

George Russell ger at tzi.de
Wed Sep 11 05:34:43 EDT 2002

Manuel M T Chakravarty wrote:
[snip]
> BTW, having two languages with separated heaps interact is a
> big mess as soon as you can have cycles, which you usually
> cannot exclude.  Alastair already pointed that out and
> Martin Odersky also has nice stories to tell about this.
[snip]
Yeah yeah I know, indeed I think I pointed it out in the message which
started this whole discussion.  In the example application I am thinking of,
I think cycles can be excluded in the first instance.  In general I think
there are various rather complicated things one might do in the finalizers
to deal with cycles, and frankly I'd rather be able to write the code for
this in Haskell rather than in C.