Updates to FFI spec: performGC

Manuel M T Chakravarty chak at cse.unsw.edu.au
Wed Sep 11 02:31:18 EDT 2002

Alastair Reid <alastair at reid-consulting-uk.ltd.uk> wrote,

> I think the thing to do is add the existing performGC to the standard
> (perhaps giving it an hs_ prefix in the process) and leave development
> of an extended version of the function for when the GHC folk (or
> anyone else with a generational collector) decide they want a
> forcefulness argument.  Come that day, we'd define:
>
>   void performGC(void) { performPartialGC(0); }
>
> (or whatever it is you do to force a full collection).

Ok.  So, how about

  void hs_perform_gc (void);

with the following specification:

  The function hs_perform_gc() advices the Haskell storage
  manager to perform a garbage collection.  This function
  must not be invoked from C functions that are imported
  "unsafe" into Haskell code.

Do you want a stronger wording on what kind of garbage
collection is to be performed or do we want to keep it
deliberately unspecified (ie, leave it to the individual
Haskell system)?