ForeignPtr-related signatures

Simon Marlow simonmar at microsoft.com
Mon Nov 18 05:22:47 EST 2002

> Just some small questions: Are we really going to change the
> signatures of
> newForeignPtr and addForeignPtrFinalizer from those which GHC
> has for ages
> to the new "C finaliser only" ones? Why don't we use other names and
> deprecate the old ones? And what are the plans in this area for GHC
> 5.04.2?

GHC 5.04.2 won't adopt any library changes, as it's only a patchlevel
release (we don't make API changes between patchlevels, only major
releases).

I don't really mind too much what names we use, I'd be fine with keeping
the current names but changing the types if that's the concensus.

Also still unresolved is what to do about atomicModifyIORef and friends,
BTW.