Again: FFI syntax

Simon Peyton-Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Wed May 30 05:19:43 EDT 2001

| > Just to restate my position: I'm against *always* wrapping
| the header
| > file name in double quotes, unless
| >
| >    #include "foo/bar.h"
| >
| > implies
| >
| >    #include <foo/bar.h>
| >
| > if the first form is not found.
|
| It does, but having "" and (ab)using it to mean <> would be
| bad - if the current directory happens to contain a file with
| such name then confusion begins.

I've not been following this discussion in detail, but I note that

* IN GENERAL one might like

	to include multiple header files (#include foo.h; #include
bax.h)
	to incude files from other directories (#include foo/bar.h)
	to #define things (#define DEBUG; #include foo.h)
	to change the search path (#include <foo.h>)

* But all of these things can be done in a C header file. So all we
*need*
  is the ability to include a single header file, gotten from the
current directory

	foo.h

So why not keep it simple?   Just one header file, no directories, no
search
path, no <> brackets.  Any of that stuff can be done in the file you
#include

Meta comment: this point is not large enough to justify a great deal of
effort or delay.