extent strings

Marcin 'Qrczak' Kowalczyk qrczak at knm.org.pl
Tue May 15 05:19:36 EDT 2001

On Tue, 15 May 2001, Sven Panne wrote:

> Personally, I'd prefer something like the above syntax, too, restricting
> oneself syntactically to (var|string)* for any future calling
> convention's import/export specification is not that hard. Completely
> switching to string land is a little bit of hack IMHO, but perhaps the
> advocates of this solution could explain their preference a little bit.

I propose the following guideline:

* what to import / as what to export - inside the string
* how to import/export - outside the string

This would imply:
- header to #include - inside
- & or label - inside or outside
- unsafety modifier (and other modifiers) - outside
- static methods / virtual methods / constructors - inside
- dynimp/dynexp - inside

> P.S.: Still no better naming suggestions for 'dynimp' and 'dynexp'?

Hmm...

For importing:
- call
- curry
- apply
- variants mangled to distinguish from ordinary identifiers
  (probably by adding underscores)
- I'm afraid that "mnemonic" symbols like (*)() or $ are too cute to be
  clear.

For exporting:
- closure
- new_function