Revised FFI syntax + typing

Marcin 'Qrczak' Kowalczyk qrczak at knm.org.pl
Thu May 3 18:34:56 EDT 2001

Thu, 03 May 2001 22:34:50 +0200, Sven Panne <Sven.Panne at informatik.uni-muenchen.de> pisze:

> Hmmm, I thought that the Word type itself is a GHC extension, the
> hslibs docs for module Word only talk about the explictly sized
> variants. OTOH the implementation exports Word, but for legacy
> reasons, IIRC.

Rather the opposite: I let it export Word not so long ago, together
with adding some instances. But unboxed arrays of Words were present
long before that: ByteArray (deprecated), MArray, IArray.

I don't agree that having a type of a fixed but unspecified size is evil.
You can query the sise - you don't have to assume any particular size -
and you have explicitly sized types as well.

--
 __("<  Marcin Kowalczyk * qrczak at knm.org.pl http://qrczak.ids.net.pl/
 \__/