Libraries and FFI

Simon Peyton-Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Fri Mar 23 03:42:26 EST 2001

| I would also want to echo Simon's comment that the new hierarchical
| namespace and library proposal should go a long way to making the
| library situation better in the very near future.  We are currently
| discussing a general layout and re-naming of the existing modules from
| hslibs.  If Hugs users and developers don't join in the discussion,
| then we could be wasting our effort.  We really want to develop
| a de-facto cross-compiler standard, not just a one-compiler or
| two-compiler standard.

...and indeed, no one from OGI is subscribed to either the FFI or the
Libraries discussion list.  I'm ccing some of them so they can take
a look at the thread:
	http://haskell.org/pipermail/ffi/2001-March/thread.html
	http://haskell.org/pipermail/ffi/2001-March/000270.html

Staying out of these discussions is a perfectly reasonable choice
on their part (there are only so many hours in the day) but it does mean
that it's unreasonable to expect Hugs to track either debate.

In the minutes of the Haskell Implementors Meeting in Jan we had:

        Hugs:   OGI in maintenance mode.  There's a danger that Hugs
will
        gradually die, which none of us want.  One idea: advertise
        openly for a home for Hugs.  JOHN will take this
        suggestion to OGI.

John, did anything come of this?