FFI Report, CVS Id 1.5

Sven Panne Sven_Panne at BetaResearch.de
Tue Jun 12 08:56:43 EDT 2001

Malcolm wrote:
> I don't know whether we are still worrying about backwards
> compatibility, [...]

I'm not sure about that either, but it would be a good thing if that
was possible IMHO.

> And so to declare the former kind of thing, we'd need
>           foreign import "static static"     foo :: t
> ?
>
> I don't much mind either way, since it is a trivial and unlikely
> situation, but could someone clarify please?

Yep, you would have to write it in the way mentioned above. This
breaks backward compatibility, but only on finitely many points,
so this is probably acceptable.

> I had understood that this was always the case anyway.
>       foreign export f :: t
> is the sole type declaration for f.  Just as it is an error to have
> more than one type decl for f, so you can't write an additional
>       f :: t
> in the same file.  And just as you cannot write a type decl for
> an entity imported from a different module, you can't write a
> foreign export for an imported entity either.

I understood Manuel's restriction differently: You can only create an
export named foo via

   foreign export ccall "foo" bar :: t

if bar has a definition in the same module as the foreign decl above.

> > Again, I'm with Marcin. This restriction looks very artificial and ugly.
>
> On the contrary, I think it is a very natural interpretation.  That is
> also how it is implemented in nhc98, which is something I need to
> keep my eye on of course - I am not a type system hacker, and I'm
> afraid I wouldn't know how to implement it any other way currently.

I don't think that lifting the restriction as I understood it should pose
any problems. NHC98 should be able to get a binding for an entity defined
in another module...  :-)

Cheers,
   S.
--
Sven Panne    Fon: +49/89/99567000    Fax: +49/89/99567461
BetaResearch GmbH,    Betastr. 1,    D-85774 Unterfoehring