Trying to build HDIRECT with ghc-5.00.2

Simon Marlow simonmar at microsoft.com
Fri Jul 13 05:14:21 EDT 2001

I'm probably about to get my head bitten off for this, but here goes:
would it be possible to move H/Direct in the direction of using the FFI
libs?  For a few reasons:

  - deprecated features are going to be removed at some point.
    In fact, I've removed them all in the new Core Libraries.

  - there's lots of duplicated functionality.

  - one might be able to mix H/Direct and hand-written FFI code.

I realise this would probably be a lot of work, but then of course
H/Direct will benefit from improvements to the FFI libs, like
stack-allocation (if I ever get around to doing it).