Let's get this finished

Marcin 'Qrczak' Kowalczyk qrczak at knm.org.pl
Mon Jan 8 12:29:25 EST 2001

Mon, 8 Jan 2001 17:11:04 +0100 (CET), Marcin 'Qrczak' Kowalczyk <mk167280 at zodiac.mimuw.edu.pl> pisze:

> A central database can be built around conversions available as values in
> the program. But it would be a bad idea to take it as the basic
> identification and require registering to use a conversion.

An important reason is that one can never be sure that a particular
encoding has been registered. Unless it takes care to import its
module ald call the registration function, but in this case he could
as well take the conversion itself without the extra indirection.

I imagine that common charsets would be imported from modules, like

    import ConvIso
        hSetOutConv stdout Text toIso8859_2

and there could be specialized databases of e.g. MIME encodings.

--
 __("<  Marcin Kowalczyk * qrczak at knm.org.pl http://qrczak.ids.net.pl/
 \__/