Let's get this finished

Marcin 'Qrczak' Kowalczyk qrczak at knm.org.pl
Sat Jan 6 06:59:48 EST 2001

Sat, 06 Jan 2001 22:37:35 +1100, Manuel M. T. Chakravarty <chak at cse.unsw.edu.au> pisze:

> If there were a faster alloca, it would still speed up the
> common case where there is no conversion or the initial size
> estimate is correct.

I'm afraid the common case includes a conversion.

It would indeed speed up the case when the size estimate is correct,
and slow down the case where it is not correct (wasting some memory).
Most of the time the estimate will be correct, but it will have to
be measured if the speedup is worth the compilcation (when we have
a faster alloca at all)...

--
 __("<  Marcin Kowalczyk * qrczak at knm.org.pl http://qrczak.ids.net.pl/
 \__/