efficiency

Manuel M. T. Chakravarty chak at cse.unsw.edu.au
Mon Dec 4 01:26:17 EST 2000

malcolm-ffi at cs.york.ac.uk wrote,

> In the current design of the FFI, it is assumed that most of the
> marshalling work is going to be done in Haskell.  For example, to
> return more than one result from a C function, the results are packaged
> as a C struct, passed as an Addr (or Ptr) to Haskell, which then
> dereferences from the Addr to each individual component of the struct.
>
> Now in GHC, the treatment of the IO monad may make this acceptably
> fast, but in other implementations (like nhc98 (of course)), this
> is just horribly inefficient, and can slow up FFI calls by an order
> of magnitude or more.  (Comparing to previous implementations using
> either the builtin 'primitive' mechanism or GreenCard.)  I agree that
> it is better in principle to have the marshalling code in Haskell
> because it has much better type-safety than C.  But in practice,
> I have found other ways to do the marshalling, mainly because of the
> efficiency question.

Honestly, I don't think that there is an easy solution to
this problem.  And - while I understand that you may not be
happy about this - I am tempted to put the burden on the
compiler writers here.  Marshalling-style IO monad
operations just have do be optimised properly.

The reason for my position is simply that marshalling in C
is IMHO not an option for anything but small bindings.  It
certainly is out of question for something like GTK+Haskell.
Except when the marshalling code is generated by a tool
(like GreenCard), but I doubt that we will - in the long run
- have tools which do C side marshalling.  Simply because
when writing a tool, it is also easier to generate Haskell
marshalling code (as H/Direct demonstrated).

In summary, I think, we should have an eye on that we
exactly know what we expect a compiler to do to optimise
Haskell marshalling code (and avoid code that we cannot
reasonably expect a compiler to optimise), but I don't see
how we can do without the co-operation of the compiler.