qforeign-0.62

Manuel M. T. Chakravarty chak at cse.unsw.edu.au
Fri Dec 1 20:36:41 EST 2000

"Marcin 'Qrczak' Kowalczyk" <mk167280 at zodiac.mimuw.edu.pl> wrote,

> On Fri, 1 Dec 2000, Simon Peyton-Jones wrote:
>
> > if it's really so, we woudn't need the objectionable
> >
> > >    withForeignObj :: ForeignObj -> (Ptr a -> IO b) -> IO b
> >
> > because all ForeignObj-manipulating things would be foreign
> > imported
> >
> > 	foreign import f :: Window -> IO ()
>
> It's not always that foreign objects are abstract from the Haskell's point
> of view. Often, but not always.
>
> There is a large intermediate area, where foreign objects store structures
> which don't have a Haskell equivalent to put in the argument of the
> ForeignObj type, but programs refer to their fields directly. hsc2hs
> provides a way to access those fields:
>
>     withForeignObj obj $ \ptr -> do
>         x <- (#peek struct foo, field1) ptr
>         y <- (#peek struct foo, field2) ptr
>
> I am not strongly arguing for either option (ForeignObj or ForeignObj a).
> Both are OK. Beware that in case of ForeignObj a the type will often be
> tagged with a void type or () - neither will be used as the argument
> of the corresponding Ptr in a useful way (neither is Storable).

I agree, but you *can* use a meaningful tag - as I outlined
with the window example - instead of just ().  So, it is up
to the programmer whether to use that additional bit of type
safety or not.

Given that there is some use to having parametrised
ForeignObjs and that it would make the interface a little
bit more orthogonal (as Ptr is parametrised), I weakly vote
in favour of having the type argument.