[Haskell & FP in Education] Welcome and introductions

Johannes Waldmann johannes.waldmann at htwk-leipzig.de
Tue Dec 18 23:09:32 UTC 2018

Hi Chris, and others.

Since you asked for it ... I have written an opinion piece

https://www.imn.htwk-leipzig.de/~waldmann/etc/prog-edu/

For professional education: yes, I use Haskell by all means.
Of course, it's complemented by a few more colleagues using Haskell,
and even more colleagues not using it, so it's a fine balance overall.
I am happy to discuss detail, swap exercises and exam questions, etc.

For pre-university education (that's what you mean
by "general" education? At least, it's included?): Don't.

To teach programming early (Haskell or not) is, at best,
misguided, and often actually harmful:

    * It tends to detract resources from where they are really needed,
      namely, teaching fundamentals.

    * It tends to hide the fact that software platforms used in
      teaching programming tend to use, or to be,
      mechanisms of surveillance capitalism.

Best regards, Johannes.