[database-devel] Announcing postgresql-libpq-0.8.2.3

Joey Adams joeyadams3.14159 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 9 04:00:51 CEST 2013

On Mon, Jul 8, 2013 at 9:03 PM, Leon Smith <leon.p.smith at gmail.com> wrote:

> I just fixed a fairly serious performance problem with postgresql-libpq's
> binding to PQescapeStringConn;   in was exhibiting a non-linear slowdown
> when more strings are escaped and retained.

 I'd like to point out a somewhat related bottleneck in postgresql-simple
(but not postgresql-libpq).  Every PQescapeStringConn or PQescapeByteaConn
call involves a withMVar, which is about 100ns on the threaded RTS on my
system.  Taking the Connection lock once for the whole buildQuery call
might be much faster, especially for multi-row inserts and updates.