[database-devel] Arrays and postgresql-simple

Leon Smith leon.p.smith at gmail.com
Tue Jul 31 03:34:56 CEST 2012

Well, this is the kind of misinformation that needs to be cleared up.
 Thanks Joey. =)

Some of this is understandable,  some of it is unfortunate.  I'd go so far
as to say that the array_agg issue seems to be a design bug.  I mean,
PostgreSQL is relatively nice for SQL, but it is still SQL... (sigh)

So can the types that can be array elements be extended in any way,  or are
these types set in stone? (without modifying the PostgreSQL source itself,
of course...)    And if the array elements are set,  does 9.2 support
arrays of range types?

The TypeInfo declaration I suggested might still be better, even if the set
of types that PostgreSQL supports is rather more limited than what it can
express.   But I may well be wrong.

And regarding the array parsing issue,  to be honest I wasn't going to
review that code too closely and trust whomever to get it approximately
right,  and then worry about fixing it if somebody found some issues.   But
if you've dealt with this issue already,   then I think you should post
your code and then hopefully we can figure out how to improve one using
ideas from the other.