[Haskell-cafe] cabal 3.8 pre-released!

Mikolaj Konarski mikolaj at well-typed.com
Fri Jun 3 18:56:02 UTC 2022

> This looks great!

Thank you. :O)

> Is the solver being factored out as its own package a new architecture change ?

It's a new old change, many years in the brewing by generations
of cabal developers and now finally (to be) released. We are equally
proud of the separation of Cabal-syntax package, again a collaborative
effort, started with a mega-commit by Patrick Dougherty.

A warning though: the APIs of the new packages are not mature yet,
because not enough people use them and give feedback, because
they are not mature yet. So expect lots of breakage, guarded by major
version bumps. E.g., we re-export too much stuff from Cabal-syntax
to limit the breakage of Cabal, to give users a sporting chance
to transition to the split API before it's the only one available.

All the best,
Mikolaj