[RFC] Qualified module renamings

Edward Z Yang ezyang at mit.edu
Thu Feb 25 21:01:20 UTC 2021

> It took me about five minutes to arrive at the guess that this is about the syntax in Cabal files for using backpack - is that right?

Oops yes, sorry for omitting this context.

> What is the intent of what got implemented, anyway? Are there example use cases?

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by intent. But a common pattern in Backpack is to instantiate a library multiple time with different requirements, and if you want them all in scope you have to rename them. Right now, this has to be done one-by-one for each provided module, which can be a bit annoying. For example, let say you parametrized parsec by string type, and you wanted a bytestring version and a text version, it would be convenient to be able to unconditionally rename every Text.Parsec.* module to Text.Parsec.*.ByteString (for example)

Edward Kmett described a concrete motivating use case at https://github.com/haskell/cabal/issues/7290#issuecomment-783540208? although his use case is a little difficult to understand.

Edward