[Haskell-cafe] Version constraints and cabal.config files

Michael Snoyman michael at snoyman.com
Thu Mar 26 07:21:53 UTC 2015

On Wed, Mar 25, 2015 at 7:35 PM Anthony Cowley <acowley at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mar 25, 2015, at 11:03 AM, Michael Snoyman <michael at snoyman.com> wrote:
>

> On Wed, Mar 25, 2015 at 4:58 PM Anthony Cowley <acowley at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On Mar 25, 2015, at 10:51 AM, Michael Snoyman <michael at snoyman.com>
>> wrote:
>>

>> On Wed, Mar 25, 2015 at 4:30 PM Anthony Cowley <acowley at seas.upenn.edu>
>> wrote:

>>> something
>>> dependencies
>>> technique I

>>> Yes, I meant the full listing of deep dependencies.
>>>

>> I've put together a Gist with an executable that does what I described:
>>
>> https://gist.github.com/snoyberg/5b244331533fcb614523
>>
>> You give it three arguments on the command line:
>>
>> * LTS version, e.g. 1.14
>> * Name of package being checked
>> * true == only include dependencies of the library and executable,
>> anything else == include test and benchmark dependencies as well
>>
>> If that's useful, I can package that up and put it on Hackage.
>>
>> Michael
>>

>> This is very helpfulness, thanks! There is a bootstrapping issue, though,
>> which is, I imagine, why both Miëtek and I have been writing much more bash
>> than we'd like. But perhaps this becomes part of a cabal-install-like
>> bootstrap.sh script to get things going.
>>
>> Anthony
>>

> Oh, that's actually a great idea. What if we had a program that:
>
> 1. takes a set of packages that needs to be installed, and an LTS version
> 2. computes the dependency tree
> 3. writes out a shell script (possibly batch program?) to wget, tar xf,
> and runghc Setup.hs in the correct order to get all of those packages
> installed
>
> As you can tell from the program I just threw together, stackage-types
> supports this kind of thing pretty trivially.
>
> Michael
>

> Yes, that's what the Nix tooling does. The extra bits are building up
> package databases suitable for each build without copying files all over
> the place. That has the extra benefit of being able to reuse builds when
> the recipe is unchanged. It is definitely not hard, but getting the build
> plans from stackage in a portable way would be valuable.
>
> Anthony

OK, I've updated the Gist so that it produces a shell script that will
install all necessary packages. It also has a nicer optparse-applicative
interface now.

https://gist.github.com/snoyberg/5b244331533fcb614523

One thing I didn't do here is add support for custom GHC package databases.
I assume you'll need that, but wasn't sure exactly how you're doing that in
Nix.

If this is useful for you, I'll start a stackage-bootstrap repo, clean up
this code a bit, and we can continue improving it from there.

Michael