[Haskell-cafe] Version constraints and cabal.config files

Michael Snoyman michael at snoyman.com
Wed Mar 25 14:24:19 UTC 2015

On Wed, Mar 25, 2015 at 4:17 PM Anthony Cowley <acowley at seas.upenn.edu>
wrote:

> The suggestion to use "cabal install --dependencies-only ..." instead
> of "cabal freeze" in that issue is really nicely presented. "cabal
> freeze" is close to the right thing, but it's just not as fully
> featured as "cabal install" (e.g. taking flags).
>
> As for Stackage, I think it would be helpful to cache the full build
> plans computed for each package in Stackage. This is most of the work
> my Nix tooling currently does, so it would be a big time saver.

By "full build plans," do you mean the dist/setup-config file, or something
else? That file would be problematic since it's Cabal-library-version
specific IIRC. If you're looking for the full listing of deep dependencies
and versions, we can extract that from the .yaml file using the technique I
mentioned earlier.

Michael