Please review: new wiki page with release instructions

Herbert Valerio Riedel hvr at gnu.org
Tue Mar 17 15:30:56 UTC 2015

On 2015-03-16 at 08:14:06 +0100, Johan Tibell wrote:
> In order to allow other people than me to make releases in the future, I
> tried to write down a step-by-step guide to making a release (the page is
> linked from the wiki homepage):
>
> https://github.com/haskell/cabal/wiki/Making-a-release
>
> I'd appreciate if people could take a look and see if there's something
> missing (e.g. the actual build steps using a sandbox tend to not always
> work, asking me to re-configure as the Cabal version changed.)

regarding

  # Tag the release.
  git tag Cabal-v$(VERSION)

this only creates a lightweight Git tag which are not the recommended
to be used for release-tagging. Moreover, annotated Git tags allow for
(optional) gpg-signing.

So I'd rather suggest to use

  git tag -a -s -m "Cabal $(VERSION)" Cabal-v$(VERSION)

to create annotated Git tags carrying a more of meta-data, including a
GPG signature. Moroever, as a practical motivation beyond giving a bit
more authenticity to the release tags, tooling like git-describe or git
submodule ignore lightweight tags by default.

Cheers,
  hvr