New release of GHC 7.8 to support OS X El Capitan

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Sat Jul 18 13:11:25 UTC 2015

On Sat, Jul 18, 2015 at 7:39 AM, Ben Gamari <ben at well-typed.com> wrote:

> I would like to understand the root-cause of the issue. It seems that
> OS X will now raise EPERM instead of EACCES when certain files are
> accessed. That being said, it's not at all clear to me which system call
> is failing or why. Could someone familiar with El Capitan describe what
> exactly is going on here?

The trace showed access("/usr/bin/ar", 2) => -1/EPERM (instead of
-1/EACCES).

http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/193368/what-is-the-rootless-feature-in-el-capitan-really
appears relevant. Sounds to me like they automatically set a bunch of stuff
immutable (chflags(1) schg flag; also see chflags(2), the underlying
syscall) and bump the (equivalent of) securelevel so it can't be altered
even by root after system boot. (Sadly, Apple did not bother to update the
manpages to reflect launchd.)