Improving the "Get Haskell Experience"

Gershom B gershomb at gmail.com
Sun Jul 12 16:19:19 UTC 2015

I’m ccing cabal-devel, as that list seems pertinent to this discussion too. In general I’m in favor of unifying efforts such as this.

For windows, I’d still like the _option_ to get prebuilt library binaries for the full platform db. The modularity means that they can be just downloaded in a separate folder now, rather than installed into e.g. the global db? If so, that’s a nice win. Here is my motivation — I tried the minghc installer and it mainly worked, but it played terribly with cygwin, which I use pervasively. So I found myself in a situation where one set of paths worked with cygwin, and the other set of paths let me build the network library. I still have some anxieties about those sorts of issues, and being able to “just download the binaries” would make me feel a bit safer about at least one workaround should things get too muddled up.

If we synchronize LTS and “platform libs,” then I would like A) some way of distinguishing “blessed platform libs” from “other libs in LTS” (to solve the “curation problem” which has always been a goal of the platform) and B) a standardized release schedule for LTS.

(And, of course, I assume this will _not_ be for the platform release upcoming, which is due very shortly, but we’ll have a longer lead time to integrate and shake out all the various issues and test, etc.)

—Gershom