Cabal 1.22 RC ready to test

Jake Wheat jakewheatmail at gmail.com
Sat Jan 3 13:46:01 UTC 2015

On 3 January 2015 at 15:05, Johan Tibell <johan.tibell at gmail.com> wrote:

> The error (https://travis-ci.org/haskell/cabal/jobs/45758614) is quite
> perplexing:
>
> [62 of 77] Compiling Distribution.Client.Config (
> Distribution/Client/Config.hs,
> dist/dist-sandbox-8940a882/build/cabal/cabal-tmp/Distribution/Client/Config.o
> )
> Distribution/Client/Config.hs:56:12:
>     Module
>     ‘Distribution.Simple.Compiler’
>     does not export
>     ‘DebugInfoLevel(..)’
> cabal-install-1.22.0.0 failed during the building phase. The exception was:
> ExitFailure 1
>
> Distribution.Simple.Compiler most definitely does export DebugInfoLevel,
> otherwise it wouldn't compile with the other GHC versions.
>
> Does GHC do something special with Cabal nowadays when it's no longer tied
> to GHC?
>
> Is it because the Cabal-1.22.0.0 bundled with ghc is now different to the
Cabal-1.22.0.0 in github? I get the same error compiling the master branch
cabal-install with ghc-7.10.0-20141222.

I think one solution is to increase the version number of Cabal in github
(for 1.22 and master branches), and to make the latest cabal-install depend
on this (i.e. Cabal>=1.22.0.1) since cabal-install 1.22 in github no longer
works with the 'released' snapshot Cabal-1.22.0.0 in ghc. This fixes the
error for ghc-7.10.0-20141222.