building without the global package-db

Chris Dornan lists at chrisdornan.com
Sun Feb 8 00:54:25 UTC 2015

Hi,

I am trying to build a self-contained package-db that is independent of the
global package-db.

I am using ghc-7.8.4 and cabal-1.22.0.0. I create an empty package-db in
package-db and type the following:

    cabal-1.22.0.0 install --package-db=clear --package-db=package-db
bytestring-0.10.4.1

but I get

   cabal-1.22.0.0: With current ghc versions the global package db is
always used
   and must be listed first. This ghc limitation may be lifted in future,
see

5977 was fixed 3 years ago -- should the error message be updated?

I am told that cabal allows building without the global package db, but how?

Cheers,

Chris