Making cabal-install SSL capable

Michael Snoyman michael at snoyman.com
Tue Apr 28 13:52:43 UTC 2015

On Tue, Apr 28, 2015 at 4:48 PM Thomas Tuegel <ttuegel at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 28, 2015 at 8:40 AM, Gershom B <gershomb at gmail.com> wrote:
> > More troublesome, I recall that the current scheme for cabal is that it
> is fully bootstrappable by only depending on GHC base libs and “vendored”
> dependencies?
>
> Well, not really. We have an ugly bootstrapping script that downloads
> the other dependencies:
> https://github.com/haskell/cabal/blob/master/cabal-install/bootstrap.sh
>
> Speaking of which...
>
> On Tue, Apr 28, 2015 at 7:38 AM, Michael Snoyman <michael at snoyman.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, Apr 28, 2015 at 2:56 PM Thomas Tuegel <ttuegel at gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Considering users with cabal-install already, that many dependencies
> >> is only a small maintenance problem. Bootstrapping will not be a small
> >> problem.
> >>

> > Can you explain what the bootstrapping issue is here? If it's what I
> think
> > you're getting at, I think I have a simple solution to that:
> >

> https://www.stackage.org/lts/build-plan?package=http-client&_accept=application/x-sh
> >
> > Note that this script generation isn't really highly tested, I put it
> > together a few weeks back as a proof-of-concept to help out someone
> playing
> > around with LTS Haskell + Nix.
>
> Sorry, yes, the bootstrapping issue I referred to was installing
> cabal-install starting from just a bare GHC installation, as you
> correctly inferred. I think that script you generated is nicer than
> what we do now; that would be good to have, regardless of where we
> come down on the TLS situation. Is the source code that generates that
> script available?

Thank you :)

Yes, the code is part of the stackage-server code base, available here:

https://github.com/fpco/stackage-server/blob/master/Handler/BuildPlan.hs#L40

When I was working on this for Nix, I offered to make the code a standalone
library/tool instead. That offer's still open if it would be useful to
others.

Michael