Making cabal-install SSL capable

Michael Snoyman michael at snoyman.com
Tue Apr 28 12:38:50 UTC 2015

On Tue, Apr 28, 2015 at 2:56 PM Thomas Tuegel <ttuegel at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 28, 2015 at 3:21 AM, Michael Snoyman <michael at snoyman.com>
> wrote:
> > I have no intention of playing the "minimal dependency" game (though I
> don't
> > mind dropping data-default, which accounts for 6 of the dependencies
> listed
> > there). I will point out- as Gershom already did- that in many cases it's
> > likely easier to install a few extra Haskell packages than it is to pull
> in
> > OpenSSL as a dependency, especially on Windows. (And that's ignoring the
> > fact that http-client-openssl exists.)
>
> Considering users with cabal-install already, that many dependencies
> is only a small maintenance problem. Bootstrapping will not be a small
> problem.

Can you explain what the bootstrapping issue is here? If it's what I think
you're getting at, I think I have a simple solution to that:

https://www.stackage.org/lts/build-plan?package=http-client&_accept=application/x-sh

Note that this script generation isn't really highly tested, I put it
together a few weeks back as a proof-of-concept to help out someone playing
around with LTS Haskell + Nix.

Michael