tweaks to cabal-install bootstrap.sh

Jake Wheat jakewheatmail at gmail.com
Sun Sep 28 15:14:21 UTC 2014

Hello,

I've made some tweaks to the bootstrap.sh here:
https://github.com/JakeWheat/cabal/tree/bootstrap-tweaks

1. It avoids downloading the additional haskell package tarballs if
these tarballs are already present in the current
directory. Motivation: easily install on machines not connected to the
internet, and make install more robust against local internet
connection problems (we have a lot of these).

2. The SCOPE_OF_INSTALLATION variable use is slightly changed to allow
installing cabal-install executable without either using or altering
the user's package database, or replacing any cabal-install executable
which they already have.

Example:
ghc-pkg init /home/jake/test_cabal/
SCOPE_OF_INSTALLATION='--global
--package-db=/home/jake/test_cabal/packagedb'
PREFIX=/home/jake/test_cabal/prefix ./bootstrap.sh

Is it possible to put these changes into the main cabal repo?  If
there are some changes which would make the patch acceptable then
please let me know. Also, is there a simpler way to meet these goals
which I missed?

Thanks,
Jake Wheat