check-pvp

Henning Thielemann lemming at henning-thielemann.de
Sat Mar 1 21:22:27 UTC 2014

Am 01.03.2014 22:11, schrieb Roman Cheplyaka:
> * Henning Thielemann <lemming at henning-thielemann.de> [2014-03-01 16:57:56+0100]
>>
>> My problem is: The checker needs to read the package description in
>> order to classify the dependency ranges. The compiler has no access
>> to the package description.
>
> Right, — similar to how ghc doesn't access package description either.
> I guess there's no reason not to add such a feature, if you're willing
> to write a patch (to both haskell-packages and Cabal).
>
>> If it tries to load the package
>> description manually, that will fail on tarballs.
>
> Not sure what you mean here. What tarballs?

If foobar-0.2.tar.gz contains a tarball created by "cabal sdist", then I
can install it via

$ cabal install foobar-0.2.tar.gz

In this case, cabal-install unpacks the archive, configures, builds and
installs the package. It would be neat to run the pvp check in the same way:

$ cabal install --haskellsuite -w check-pvp-compiler foobar-0.2.tar.gz

However, this requires that check-pvp-compiler gets the path to the
package description as parameter and does not try to load it from the
current directory.

>> I can also not see how I define my own command line options in the
>> Compiler interface.
>
> Good point. I've added 'customMain' to git repo. Let me know if it works
> for you.

I'll try that.