1.18 and 1.20 patch releases done

Johan Tibell johan.tibell at gmail.com
Sat Dec 20 08:11:31 UTC 2014

I've spent a considerable amount of time [1] now and I don't think we can
fix it in a way which works with both network < 2.6 and network >=
2.6/network-uri >=26. In fact I don't know if I can get bootstrap.sh
working at all. Without actually using cabal-install to do the
dependency/flag resolution and make sure we build using a consistent set of
packages we end up in problems like these:

Distribution/Client/HttpUtils.hs:68:43:
    Couldn't match expected type ‘network-2.4.2.3:Network.URI.URI’
                with actual type ‘URI’
    NB: ‘network-2.4.2.3:Network.URI.URI’
          is defined in ‘Network.URI’ in package ‘network-2.4.2.3’
        ‘URI’ is defined in ‘Network.URI’ in package ‘network-uri-2.6.0.1’
    In the ‘rqURI’ field of a record
    In the expression:
      Request
        {rqURI = uri, rqMethod = GET,
         rqHeaders = Header HdrUserAgent userAgent : ifNoneMatchHdr,
         rqBody = ByteString.empty}

See full log: http://lpaste.net/116892

The cause is the HTTP package and the Cabal package being compiled against
different versions of network. Given how bootstrap.sh works there's no real
avoiding this. We can only hope that the user only has one version of
network installed.

1. See the latest commits on the https://github.com/haskell/cabal/tree/1.18
branch.