Please test: release candidates for Cabal/cabal-install patch releases on the 1.18 and 1.20 branches

Ben Gamari bgamari.foss at gmail.com
Fri Dec 12 03:52:15 UTC 2014

Johan Tibell <johan.tibell at gmail.com> writes:

> I've uploaded release candidates for Cabal/cabal-install patch releases on
> the 1.18 and 1.20 branches:
>
> https://www.haskell.org/cabal/release/cabal-1.18.1.5/Cabal-1.18.1.5.tar.gz
> https://www.haskell.org/cabal/release/cabal-install-1.18.0.6/cabal-install-1.18.0.6.tar.gz
>
> https://www.haskell.org/cabal/release/cabal-1.20.0.3/Cabal-1.20.0.3.tar.gz
> https://www.haskell.org/cabal/release/cabal-install-1.20.0.4/cabal-install-1.20.0.4.tar.gz
>
> Please test, especially if one of your fixes are in this release. You can
> install both both lib and exe using: cabal install <Cabal URL>
> <cabal-install URL>

First I'll look at Cabal-1.18.1.5 and cabal-install-1.18.0.6.

Unfortunately there still seems to be trouble invoking cabal in a tree
previously used by a previous Cabal version. For instance,

    $ tar -zxf cabal-install-1.18.0.6.tar.gz
    $ cd cabal-install-1.18.0.6
    $ cabal install
    $ cabal install --enable-tests
    Warning: The package list for 'hackage.haskell.org' is 71 days old.
    Run 'cabal update' to get the latest list of available packages.
    Resolving dependencies...
    Configuring cabal-install-1.18.0.6...
    Building cabal-install-1.18.0.6...
    cabal: dist/package.conf.inplace: inappropriate type
    Failed to install cabal-install-1.18.0.6
    cabal-install-1.18.0.6 failed during the building phase. The exception was:
    ExitFailure 1

I have noticed this problem in the past as well. Deleting dist/ resolves
the issue. I seem to recall some discussion where it was claimed this
was fixed although I could be wrong.  This was reproducible on x86_64
(building with GHC 7.8.3 and 7.6.3) and ARM.

After this was resolved I encountered the following,

    $ cabal install --enable-tests

    Preprocessing test suite 'unit-tests' for cabal-install-1.18.0.6...

    Distribution/Client/Targets.hs:100:8:
        Could not find module `Network.URI'
        It is a member of the hidden package `network-2.4.2.2'.
        Perhaps you need to add `network' to the build-depends in your .cabal file.
        It is a member of the hidden package `network-uri-2.6.0.1'.
        Perhaps you need to add `network-uri' to the build-depends in your .cabal file.
        Use -v to see a list of the files searched for.
    Failed to install cabal-install-1.18.0.6

This is fixed in master. It seems you should probably cherry-pick
2826c97d11a495085008c4bddf499fcfd05e0df2 onto the release branch.

After this I was able to run the testsuite. cabal-install was fine;
Cabal failed with,

    TestSuiteExeV10/TestWithHpc:
      : [Failed]
    expected: 'setup build' should succeed
      output: "/opt/exp/haskell-packages/Cabal-1.18.1.5/tests/Setup configure --user -w /opt/exp/ghc/root-ghc-7.8/bin/ghc --enable-tests --enable-library-coverage" in PackageTests/TestSuiteExeV10
    Setup: Option --enable-library-coverage is obsolete! Please use
    --enable-coverage instead.

    BuildTestSuiteDetailedV09:
      : [Failed]
    build failed!
    expected: False
     but got: True

I didn't investigate into the cause of these any further.

I also used the new cabal executable to install Yesod has progressed
quite (on the ARM, even) far and shows no sign failure.

I'll take a look at the 1.20 releases tomorrow.

Cheers,

 - Ben