HEADS UP: Running cabal install with the latest GHC

Edward Z. Yang ezyang at mit.edu
Fri Aug 8 21:17:45 UTC 2014

They would be:

    2b50d0a Fix regression for V09 test library handling.
    d3a696a Disable reinstalls with distinct package keys for now.
    1d33c8f Add $pkgkey template variable, and use it for install paths.
    41610a0 Implement package keys, distinguishing packages built with different deps/flags

Unfortunately, these patches fuzz a bit without this next patch:

    62450f9 Implement "reexported-modules" field, towards fixing GHC bug #8407.

When you include that patch, there is only one piece of fuzz from
41610a0.

One important caveat is that these patches do rearrange some of the API,
so you wouldn't be able to build GHC 7.8 against these patches.  So
maybe we don't want to.

If we had a way of releasing experimental, non-default picked up
versions, that would be nice (i.e. Cabal 1.21). No warranty, but
easy enough for GHC devs to say 'cabal install Cabal-1.21
cabal-install-1.21' or something.

Edward

Excerpts from Johan Tibell's message of 2014-08-08 22:02:25 +0100: