What's next?

Mikhail Glushenkov the.dead.shall.rise at gmail.com
Thu Sep 5 06:39:32 CEST 2013

Hi Johan,

On Thu, Sep 5, 2013 at 6:14 AM, Johan Tibell <johan.tibell at gmail.com> wrote:

>  * Build modules in parallel. This fine granularity would let us
> making building a single package faster, which is the most common case
> after all. There has been some GSoC work here e.g.
> http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/910 and some work by
> Mikhail.

This will be ready for merging soon (hopefully before the end of
September). My plan is to use the built-in parallel --make on GHC >=
7.8 (according to [1] it will be available in the next release), and
the new ghc-parmake on older GHCs.

I also have some ideas on how to speed-up incremental builds, but that
will take a bit more time.

On the topic of future plans, other important features are:

    * cabal uninstall
    * Nix-like immutable package database

[1] http://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Status/GHC-7.8