Advance notice that I'd like to make Cabal depend on parsec

Duncan Coutts duncan at well-typed.com
Fri Mar 15 16:33:24 CET 2013

On Fri, 2013-03-15 at 05:19 +0100, Bardur Arantsson wrote:
> On 03/14/2013 11:01 PM, Duncan Coutts wrote:

> > Of course .cabal files are mainly written by humans, not machines, so we
> > should optimise for them.
>
> I though we were mostly talking about InstalledPackageInfo. That could
> be in $EASILY_PARSEABLE_FORMAT without really breaking anything, right?

In principle it could be any format. But it is a format specified in the
Cabal spec, and shared between all the Haskell implementations. Unless
there's a compelling reason to change all that, I'd rather not.

> Another option if GHC really also needs to parse .cabal files:

That's ok, it doesn't. GHC use Cabal when building ghc, but at runtime
it's just using the InstalledPackageInfo type, parser (and perhaps some
index utils).

--
Duncan Coutts, Haskell Consultant