cabal install --only

Conrad Parker conrad at metadecks.org
Fri Mar 15 08:46:59 CET 2013

On 15 March 2013 15:14, Andres Löh <andres at well-typed.com> wrote:
> Hi.
>
>> What is the purpose of the "install" command's "--only" flag? The
>> documentation says "Only installs the package in the current
>> directory", but this is already supported by running "cabal install"
>> in the current directory without arguments. Would it be fine if I
>> removed "--only"?
>
> No, please do not remove it. Running install without --only causes all sorts
> of things to happen, because install is the magic command. The --only flag
> is for use after you have already run build and really only does the
> installation, i.e. It behaves comparable to Setup install.

Ah, maybe the help text is ambiguous; I interpreted that as saying it
"only installs the package in the current directory [not in some other
directory]".

Perhaps rename --only to --no-reconfigure or so?

cabal install
  --reconfigure    : run "cabal configure" with previous options
before install [default]
  --no-reconfigure : build and install, without reconfiguring

Conrad.