Advance notice that I'd like to make Cabal depend on parsec

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at googlemail.com
Thu Mar 14 18:12:14 CET 2013

On Thu, 2013-03-14 at 16:44 +0000, Simon Peyton-Jones wrote:
> Yes I think that'd be a great plan.  It's bizarre that GHC depends on
> *all* of Cabal, but only uses a tiny part of it (more or less the
> Package data type I think).

The sensible way to split it (I think) would be like this:

cabal-lib:
  Distribution.*
  -- containing definitions of types and parsers & pretty printers
  -- including the InstalledPackageInfo

cabal-build-simple
  Distribution.Simple.*
  -- the build system for "Simple" packages

cabal
  -- the program, what is currently called cabal-install

And then the ghc package would only depend on the cabal-lib package. But
it's that package that is going to use bytestring, text, parsec etc, for
its type definitions and parser.

The InstalledPackageInfo and its parser is what ghc and ghc-pkg
primarily use (though there's the opportunity to share code for handling
package indexes) and that type and that parser are also going to end up
using text and parsec etc.

It'd be possible to split things out further and have
InstalledPackageInfo and the types it uses and a special parser just for
that with fewer dependencies, but I'm not sure that's really worth it
and it would duplicate things (the types and/or parsers shared by
InstalledPackageInfo and the source package description).

So all in all, the split I suggest above makes sense for its own reasons
but it wouldn't help ghc here, and a further split just to help ghc
would be rather annoying.

Duncan