Advance notice that I'd like to make Cabal depend on parsec

Gregory Collins greg at
Thu Mar 14 16:06:17 CET 2013

On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 3:53 PM, Duncan Coutts <duncan.coutts at
> wrote:

> Hi folks,
> I want to give you advance notice that I would like to make Cabal depend
> on parsec. The implication is that GHC would therefore depend on parsec
> and thus it would become a core package, rather than just a HP package.
> So this would affect both GHC and the HP, though I hope not too much.

+1 from me, although the amount of potential knock-on work might be
discouraging. The current cabal-install bootstrap process (which is
currently pretty easy and is necessary at times) will get a bunch more deps
as a result of this change, no?

Gregory Collins <greg at>