Unallocated names

Ian Lynagh ian at well-typed.com
Tue Sep 4 20:22:04 CEST 2012

On Tue, Sep 04, 2012 at 06:49:00PM +0100, Ross Paterson wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 04, 2012 at 06:32:48PM +0100, Leon Smith wrote:
> > Ok,  when I upload a package it warns me about unallocated names?   How are
> > names allocated,  and who makes the decisions here?
>
> It's complaining if the first component of a hierarchical module name
> doesn't come from a certain set.  There was once a plan to allocate
> the module namespace, but it's pretty dormant:
>
> http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Hierarchical_module_names

Leon's presumably talking about postgresql-simple-0.2.4.1, which uses
Database.PostgreSQL.*

Hackage2 will currently complain about anything that doesn't start with
one of:
    Algebra, Codec, Control, Data, Database, Debug, Distribution,
    DotNet, Foreign, Graphics, Language, Network, Numeric, Prelude,
    Sound, System, Test, Text

Does anyone think that this check is currently useful, or should I just
turn it off?

Thanks
Ian