Hackage 2

Erik Hesselink hesselink at gmail.com
Mon Sep 3 10:20:25 CEST 2012

On Sat, Sep 1, 2012 at 5:10 PM, Ian Lynagh <ian at well-typed.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 31, 2012 at 01:57:55AM +0100, Ian Lynagh wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 08:13:01PM -0400, Leon Smith wrote:
>> > Ok, I tried to upload the most recent version of postgresql-simple,  and I
>> > couldn't because I'm not the maintainer for that package.
>>
>> I wasn't involved in the design of that, so I wonder if someone who was
>> could comment?
>
> I've just disabled the per-package-uploader test, for now at least.
> Hackage 1 didn't have it, so this leaves us no worse off than we were
> before, and we can always re-enable it later if we decide that that's
> what we want.

I think that the eventual situation should have per-package uploaders.
It just seems to dangerous for anyone to be able to upload any
package, especially heavily-used ones. On the other hand, I see little
use for the global uploaders group. So I'd propose to eventually
switch from the current situation, and have only per-package
uploaders, and no global uploaders. This also means that the
maintenance burden per person is constant as the community grows,
since the package maintainers can manage their own packages uploaders,
whereas a global uploaders list has to managed by centralized admins.

This does imply that there has to be some initial import where the old
accounts/uploaders are connected with new accounts, which would need
to be imported from the old hackage. I don't think that is the plan
now, is it?

Erik