Agreeing on a UI for sandboxes

Mikhail Glushenkov the.dead.shall.rise at gmail.com
Sat Sep 1 12:11:36 CEST 2012

Hi,

On Fri, Aug 31, 2012 at 11:43 PM, Johan Tibell <johan.tibell at gmail.com> wrote:

> Why does `cabal install` affect the saved configure flags? Does it do
> that today even if you don't use the new sandbox stuff?

It doesn't have to affect the package environment file, but otherwise
you'll need to specify the configure flags twice:

$ cabal sandbox-init
$ cabal install --only-dependencies -w /path/to/compiler
$ cabal configure -w /path/to/compiler # Fails without -w

> Lets try to make it work first and then optimize it. If we don't make
> it work all that will mean is that the user will have to perform the
> steps manually (i.e. 'cd' to the dependency directory, run build, 'cd'
> to the main directory, run install).

OK.

> That's fine I think. It's like you added a dependency of the main
> library. The user will need to install that dependency by running
>
>    cabal install --only-dependencies
>
> There's a question whether he/she would have to run that in the dir of
> the dependency or the dir of the main lib.

The simple implementation is to make 'cabal build' imply 'cabal
install' for all add-source dependencies. This will download and
install all newly-added dependencies.