Output of cabal sandbox commands

Johan Tibell johan.tibell at gmail.com
Tue Oct 16 06:44:17 CEST 2012

On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 9:34 PM, Mikhail Glushenkov
<the.dead.shall.rise at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 16, 2012 at 5:27 AM, Johan Tibell <johan.tibell at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> If we're going to be using sandboxes extensively (I think we should!)
>> having each command output the sandbox location is a bit much. Perhaps
>> make this line:
>>
>>     Using a sandbox located at /Users/tibbe/src/cassava/.cabal-sandbox
>>
>> only appear at higher verbosity?
>
> I'm not against this, but having no indication which mode
> (sandbox/"normal") is used might be a bit confusing.
>
> What about making only sandbox-init print the full path and print
> something like "Note: using a sandbox" in other cases?

While a bit shorter, it's still a bit much I think. How about we only
try it at higher verbosity levels and if users find it confusing we
output it by default? Note that you shouldn't get any strange errors
from being inside a sandbox, at most you could get some complaints
about dependencies not being installed?