Gearing up for a cabal-install-1.16.0 release

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at
Mon Oct 1 10:26:09 CEST 2012

On 1 October 2012 04:21, Johan Tibell <johan.tibell at> wrote:
> Hi,
> I don't want to hold up the release on this issue if it needs more
> discussion. I'd like to make another Cabal/cabal-install release
> before end of the year (probably around GHC's release timeline), to
> include the sandbox stuff once done. Would it be OK to wait until then
> with these two patches?

I think these specific patches do not need discussion now, here's why:
the feature comes in two parts, server and client, the bulk of the
feature is the server side part which is not implemented yet. There's
plenty of time for more discussion of the feature in general before we
start actually using it. But if we decide it's ok, then we have to
wait even longer to start using it. We can deploy new server side code
quickly, but not client side code. If we decide it's not ok, then we
don't make use of the feature server-side and then we rip out the
client code. So that's why I want to get the client code in now, in
advance of the server side implementation.

Also note, I have discussed this before with several people (and I
think on this list too, a couple years back). So Bryan didn't see it,
but it's not like I'm inventing this crazy idea from nowhere and
forcing it on people. I'm very happy to discuss the details again, but
that's independent of these two patches.


More information about the cabal-devel mailing list