Providing a smooth default user experience

Björn Peemöller bjp at informatik.uni-kiel.de
Fri Nov 2 10:48:03 CET 2012

Am 31.10.2012 18:22, schrieb Johan Tibell:

> *We should add a cabal run command*
[snip]

> I think we could improve this use case by introducing a new command,
> cabal run, with the following parameters:
>
> cabal run <executable> <args>
>
> which would run
>
> cabal build

I like this idea, but this is for executables only.

Recently, I had to add a MIN_VERSION macro to my code because of the
old-time / time change in directory, but couldn't test the library in
ghci because the macro was not defined.

I discovered that configuring ghci with

  :set -optP-include -optPdist/build/autogen/cabal_macros.h

tells ghci about the macro, but I find this even more cumbersome than
dist/build/<executable>/<executable>.

So, if I'm not missing something, it may also be comfortable to add a

cabal ghci

command which tells ghci about cabal's configuration.

Regards,
Björn