[Hackage] #922: “lexical error (UTF-8 decoding error)” in WIndows 7

Hackage cvs-ghc at haskell.org
Fri Mar 2 14:02:12 CET 2012

#922: “lexical error (UTF-8 decoding error)” in WIndows 7
  Reporter:  hamukazu            |        Owner:
      Type:  defect              |       Status:  new
 Component:  cabal-install tool  |      Version:  HEAD
  Severity:  minor               |     Keywords:  UTF-8
Difficulty:  unknown             |   Ghcversion:
  Platform:  Windows             |
 ==== Symptom ====
 When I type
 > cabal install cabal
 it fails with the following error:
 > Distribution\Compat\Exception.hs:0:4: lexical error (UTF-8 decoding

 ==== Environment ====
 It happens with 64 bit version of Windows 7.

 It came to occur after I failed to install HXT. (I am not sure it is

 ==== Workaround ====
 By setting
 > set LANG=C
 in command line, cabal comes to work.

 I regard this is just a workaround and this issue should be reported as a

 ==== Related links ====

Ticket URL: <http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/hackage/ticket/922>