hackage-server memory requirements

Max Bolingbroke batterseapower at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 25 22:53:24 CEST 2011

On 25 October 2011 20:23, Bas van Dijk <v.dijk.bas at gmail.com> wrote:
> Does this sound like a memory leak or does hackage-server actually
> require more than 4GB memory?

Wow!

The SoC student reported memory usage of about ~700MB with a full
import from the Hackage of the time:
http://cogracenotes.wordpress.com/page/2/

Of course, it is possible that Cabal has grown enough (or the server
has become inefficient enough) that it now requires 4GB memory. Do you
still see 4GB usage if you restart the server? If it is a leak caused
by the mirroring process the memory usage might be a lot less once you
restart.

Another thing to do would be to heap profile the server.. it would be
very interesting to know what is going on. I'd like to try do this out
myself, but I can't mirror Hackage without hitting the usage limits on
my internet connection :-).

Max